Friday 16 May 2008

My Thoughts: Persian Brides - Dorit Rabinyan







This novel explores the lives of two Jewish girls, one aged 11 the other 14. One girl is desperate to marry, she waits constantly for puberty to start so she can start married life, at the age of 11 she is taunted by the other members of the village for her skinny body and child status. The second girl is heavily pregnant, spending each day waiting for her philandering husband to return.

This novel is praised for its language and descriptions, the reviews say that the descriptions bring the village and characters to life but I didn't feel that they did. I'm not saying that I regret reading the book, I don't, but I wouldn't say that I was gripped or pulled into the story. I was interested in all the Iranian rituals and the beliefs surrounding marriage and puberty, and the idea of children so young being so desperate and ready to marry. It was a good look at a different culture.



If you have read this book feel free to comment or leave a link to your own review.

1 comment:

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

Thank you for the review. Sorry that this OT book was not your favourite. I can't wait to see what you have to read next! Great job on your OT reads and reviews.

Happy travels!