Sunday 18 May 2008

The Classics Challenge: Pre-Challenge Fun


Trish has posted these questions for us to answer before the challenge starts:

1. My favorite classic is Jane Eyre, no matter how many times I read it I am still gripped, I still get angry at Rochester and then weep at the end!

2. The classic I had the toughest time finishing is Nicholas Nickleby, having seen the film - which is very good- I expected the book to be the same but much of the story had been left out of the film (definately a good thing). A real shame as I usually enjoy Dickens.

3. I would recommend Tess of the d'Urbervilles to someone who doesn't read a lot of classics or who doesn't generally like classics because its gripping from the first page, and Tess is a character who you can really come to feel passionate about, the book makes you experience a whole range of emotions and has a great storyline.

4. To me, a classic book is a book that has managed to live way past its age and still carry a message or still is relevant to modern lives. They should take you to another world without making it hard work or making you feel out of place.

5. The type of relationship I have with classics is poor. In terms of my lack of reading of them since I finished my degree. There are many on my virtual tbr pile that I just keep putting aside, I'm hoping this challeng will prompt me towards them in real life, in particular Jude the Obscure, Bleak House (and I might attempt War and Peace but I'm not promising anything!).

4 comments:

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Oh my goodness-Bleak House and War and Peace in 6 months? You are a brave soul! I loved Jane Eyre as well but have a special place in my heart for the other Bronte sister (Emily). I'm reading Tess for this challenge, so I'm thrilled to hear you recommend it!

Thanks for playing along--look forward to reading your list post and reviews. :)

CJ said...

All these references to Jane Eyre are making me wonder if I've truly read it or not...

Hmmm. I'm gonna have to check on that. And I agree with Trish - you surely are a brave soul!

cjh

Amy said...

I love Jane Eyre as well. I read it for the first time last year.

katrina said...

I have a six week summer holiday so I'm planning on reading some of War and Peace each day - Its been using up space on my tbr pile for a good 8 yrs at least!