Friday 30 May 2008

My Thoughts: Moon Tiger - Penelope Lively



I would never have picked this book up but it was on the Booker winners list, of which I am trying to read all the winners, and it fitted in with a few other challenges. It got pulled towards the top of mount tbr because the name 'Moon Tiger' sounded exciting, adventurous and romantic - which is what this book wishes to be, but some how doesn't quite get there.

The book's narrator is Claudia, an old lady who is nearing the end of her life, with her death looming she decides to write a history of the world. Her life history gets mixed in with a sparse amount of world history. We here of her lovers her incestuous relations with her brother, her poor attempt at motherhood as well as her jaunts in Egypt as a journalist during the war and her fairly selfish life as a popular historian.

She is created as a woman who keeps everyone distant from her, self sufficient and self involved - which she is - which is why I think I couldn't really care with the story. She seemed so distant that we couldn't believe in this gaping short lived love affair, we couldn't believe that she felt the horror of war or the horror of her upcoming death. It was an ok read, certainly not gripping and one I'm sure to have pretty much forgotten by next week.

If you have read this book feel free to comment or leave a link to your own review.

Book 2/6 for The 2008 Booker Challenge
Book 1/6 for
The What's in a Name? Challenge
Book 5/6 for
The Novella Challenge
Book 5/6 for
Orbis Terravm

3 comments:

maggie moran said...

Guess What!?! You won the drawing for the pecans! Please send me your address so I can get them in the mail. mmoranATnorthwestmsDOTedu

Thanks for participating in the Southern Reading Challenge! :D

Eva said...

I really loved this one when I read it back in high school! I can understand how you didn't like Claudia, though.

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I have seen Penelope Lively books around, I thought the title was Penelope Lively...that shows what I know!! Anyway, sorry it wasn't one of those unforgettable, re-read worthy books....but I guess they can't all be that way, right?!

Great review, I love the honesty!