Saturday 24 May 2008

The Classics Challenge: July - Dec 2008


Trish has set up The Classics Challenge - yet another challenge that I can't resist!

RULES (keep reading for the bonus):
OPTION 1: Read FIVE classics.
OPTION 2: Read FIVE classics from at least TWO different countries
OPTION 3: Read FIVE classics with any combination of at least TWO different countries and TWO different genres (see above for genres).
Cross-posting with other challenges is allowed (and encouraged!); Audiobooks are fine; books must be finished after July 1st to count for the challenge although re-reads are acceptable.
Lists don't have to be set in stone; you can change your selections at any time.
Have Fun. Oh ya...there will be a drawing for a prize or two. To be entered you must complete any one of the above options. You do NOT need a blog to participate.
Am I going to define what a classic is? Nope! There are lots of definitions offered on the Internet, but essentially we all have different opinions so don't stress too much--and see the bonus below.
BONUS!!
As you can see, I'm requiring FIVE classics for six months. For the sixth book, I would like the participants to offer suggestions for books that may not be considered classics but that you think should be or books that you think will be a classic one day. Leave your suggestions in the comments below. I'll compile a list of the suggestions and you choose a book from the list and make that your sixth read. I realize this means you may have to wait to make your list if you choose to participate in the bonus round, but I'm hoping this is a modern twist on the old classics challenge.
For example, I am going to suggest The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and The Remains of the Day by Kazou Ishiguro.


I'm going to be doing Option 2 as I feel that otherwise I will fall into inly reading English classics which I have read a lot of in my studies.


At the moment I'm not coming up with a definitive list just possibilites, I will definately be poking around others sites looking for inspiration.

So far I'm thinking:
Bleak House
Jude the Obscure
The Awakening
War and Peace
Les Miserable
Gone With the Wind
The Sound and The Fury
The Water Babies

And as for the bonus it could be any of these:
Gilead
Poisonwood Bible
American Gods
Cold Mountain
All the Pretty Horses.
The Books I have actually read:
Junky, Burroughs (Cult Classic)
Neverwhere, Gaiman (Fantasy Classic)

2 comments:

Nise' said...

GWTW is one of my all time favorites. Loved Poisonwood Bible!
Started War and Peace many times...never finished.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Great list! I really enjoyed The Sound and the Fury, but man is that Faulkner a lot of work sometimes! :) I've read all of your bonus books except American Gods, but I've heard great things about Gaiman. Loved all the others except Gilead--bleh! Thanks for joining.