Saturday 28 March 2009

Herding Cats II: A tiny challenge for me (April 1st - December 31st 2009)


Herding Cats is held here

I remember seeing this challenge last year and being intrigued, this year I have a massive amount of challenges to complete so I'm just going to dip my toe in and read 2-3 of the books.

The premise is that everyone lists their 5 fav books of the last 3 years, then people can chose to read a number of books from the recommendation lists, if they decide to. I'm looking forward to spanning through the lists and may struggle to find just a couple. Other people's recomendations can be found here

My Top 5:
1.The Children's War, J.N Stroyar This is a mamouth book but weel worth the effort. The alternative history of Europe, waning: contains some violent scenes.
2. Milkweed, Spinelli. Yes this is a kids book, but it is also great for adults too. The book tells the tale of a homeless Polish boy in 1939 and should be read by all.
3. Gone With the Wind, Mitchell. This is a recommendation for people like me who seemed to have missed some of the major classics. This is a fantastic gripping read, you'll love and hate the characters all at the same time.
4. Fragile Things, Neil Gaiman. Gaiman's book of short stories is a real treat, a year on and I can still remember many of them vividly.
5.Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Lisa See . A fantastic book about chinese women's lives and the secret literate world that they shared.

Books that are on the list (so far) that I may tackle
1. Something Wicked This Way Comes, Ray Bradbury
2.We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda by Philip Gourevitch
3.Four and Twenty Blackbirds by Cherie Priest
4. The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Miller

2 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I keep going backwards and forwards about doing this one with so many others to complete. Great book choices though.

Mercy's Maid said...

I loved Snowflower and the Secret Fan. It was so interesting, and I think I'd pick up so much more with a second reading. I may try to talk my book group into choosing it for one of our group reads. :)