Sunday 29 March 2009

My Thoughts: Y the Last Man: Unmanned (Vol 1) by Brian K. Vaugn and Pia Guerra


This fantastic graphic novel is the first in the series, I'm hoping that the rest are just as good.

This volume introduces us to a fairly recognisable world, in some jobs and careers women and men are equal in other inequality still exists. Then a series pf events occur and the men instataneously drop dead. All except one: Yorrick (and his pet monkey).

As the women try to come to terms with the recent events and keep their lives moving they have a series of problems to contend with: A need to clear away the dead bodies, a lack of food and services, a lack of a stable experienced government and the Amazons. The Amazons are a bunch of hard headed feminists, set out to control through fear and violence, they celebrate the destruction of the male society and seek ways to exploit their position. Their trademark: One burnt off breast.

The next volume is on hold at the library, can't wait to pick it up.

Challenges:
A-Z (Titles)
Graphic Novel Challenge 5/12

3 comments:

Vasilly said...

I read this book last year and loved it. I kept thinking while I was reading this was "would women really act that way?" I know we wouldn't be exactly normal after there are virtually no men left on the planet, but still. I can't wait to read what you think of the rest of the series.

Anonymous said...

I loved this when I read it last year. I must get around to continuing with the series soon. I need to know why he ended up surviving when no other men did.

DianeG said...

I loved this series! Some of the volumes were more engaging than others, but overall, quite an interesting look at an apocolyptic world with only two male mammals surviving. Keep reading!