Monday 30 March 2009

My Thoughts: Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire


This book is the second in the Wicked series and in my opionion far better than the first which I thought needed a serious editing.
The novel focuses on Liir, the son (maybe) of Elphaba the Wicked Witch. The story opens when he is discovered laying half dead on the side of the road. He is taken to a nunnery and where they try and fix all his broken bones and find a musical girl, presumed a mute to play him back to conciousness. The first half of the book moves from the present with her playing to him, her thoughts and his bodily reactions to his memories of his recent past which are cojured up through her music.
We discover where he has been and all that had happened since the death of the witches. When he finally awakens he then goes off try and fulfill some of the promises he had made.

Challenges:
999 (Fantasy)
What's in a name? (relative)
Once Upon a Time III

4 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I still haven't got round to Wicked yet! My friend did not enjoy it very much, but I still want to read it.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you enjoyed this. Are you going to read the third one? I have it on my ereader for later this year hopefully. I am interested to read what happens to Lir next.

Unknown said...

I've the opposite view. I loved the first one and did not make it through the second one.

I've left an award for you on my blog.

http://readywhenyouarecb.blogspot.com/2009/03/cb-wins-new-award.html

katrina said...

Yeah I will read the third one, I'm interested to know what happens next.