Sunday 5 July 2009

The Sunday Salon: Heart Shaped Box


I'm not sure what's happening with my reading at the moment, but I seem to be slowing down dramatically, which was not helped by working 2 extra shifts in a pub this weekend. Hopefully things will be back on track next week.
I spent last night at a local festival, loads of live mucis, a storytelling tent, live oral poets (who were amazing), face painting, a silent disco and much more. It was a great evening, finishing off the night dancing to a The Specials coverband.
The weather here has been amazing all week, although too hot at night to sleep comfortably.

I've somehow managed to draw out reading Heart Shaped Box over the whole week, and this is a book which would normally require a evening or twos reading.
Heart-Shaped Box isn't my normal type of read but I heard great things about it in the blogging world and thought I'd give it a try. When my Mum read it and said it made her scared, I laughed, no book has scared me since I was a kid, but this one left me unsettled on many occassions.
Heart Shaped Box features a rock star, a goth and a hypnotising ghost. The ghost is the step-father of the rock star's ex, a girl with many problems who was found dead in the bath. Through a plan the rockstar purchases a ghost for a laugh not knowing the trouble it will cause him. Suddenly he is acting at the ghosts will, and trying his hardest to fight against this force.
It certainly isn't well written but I was hooked in within a few pages.
Challenges:
The Genre Challenge (Horror)
999 (New Fiction)

5 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I wish I had picked up Heart Shaped Box when I saw it now, I love a scary book!

Monique said...

I thought Heart Shaped Box was a good book. Not as scary as I would have like it but a definite page turner.

Yvonne said...

I have Heart Shaped Box in my TBR. I love scary books!

Eva said...

First, so excited about the OT Short Story Challenge!

Then, I remember feeling creeped out by Heart-Shaped Box, which was awesome. And the writing got better as the book went along, imo. :)

Ana S. said...

I liked Heart-Shaped box a lot. More for the characters than the plot, which surprised me.