Sunday 12 July 2009

The Sunday Salon: Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd


One more week of school left before the holidays start - lets hope that this week my patience goes back up to its normal high level, the kids were made last week, swine flu arrived in school and the teachers were all on a short fuse.
This week I have to be observed teaching my weakest class, last week they became unbearable - they scwabble, answer back and cry at the slightest thing. I've also taught them all of the curriculum so have no idea what I will be teaching them in 13hours! Wednesday I'm off to a theme park with 300+ kids lets hope the weather improves!

I had a lazy afternoon finishing Siobhan Dowd's Bog Child, a book I was asked to read as the resisdent YA/Childrens book reader in the department - we're looking for new books to teach, I made my recommendations and then was given this to consider.
The Republic of Ireland is at a pinnacle moment in its history, bombs are going of and the political prisioners are on a hunger strike.
18 year old Fergus' brother is in prison on political charges, his mum is praying for his release and his safety, his Dad is busy drinking the town on the edge of the border is in turmoil as more and more of its young men are caught up in the troubles. Fergus has a lot going on, he is in the middle of his A Level exams and then while digging illegally on the other side of the border he discovers the Bog Child, Mel. Her body has been preserved by the marshy ground. Cora and her mother tun up to determine Mel's origins and the cause of her death and love errupts for Fergus.
I loved this novel, there does seem to be way too much going on in this boys life though, I'm not sure how he managess to stay sane. Alongside the story of Fergus Mel's voice creeps through into his sub-conscious and we discover more and more about her life.
This book just like Dowd's A Swift Pure Cry is well worth a read for both adults and teenagers.

Challenges:
YA 2009
Orbis Terrarum
999 (New Fiction)

5 comments:

Ana S. said...

I've been meaning to read Bog Child. It's good to hear you loved it!

Vasilly said...

I just blogged about Bog Child today. I hope to read it soon. Have a good week.

serendipity_viv said...

Does sound like a good book. Good luck with your observation. I really don't miss those. Also have fun at the theme park. Take plenty of headache tablets for the stress levels.

katrina said...

Thanks - they were brats but apparently I coped with them well!
Hoping to leave all the kids there, luckily they're old enough to go off on their own

Tea said...

I would love to this one, "Bog Child." With your hectic schedule you wrote a very good review. Thanks.