Saturday 22 November 2008

My Thoughts: Under The Skin by Michel Faber

This is going to be a really quick review, as my home computer is broken and I'm having to use the annoyingly slow and awkward computers in the local library.

The premise of this book is simply about a female driver, driving the roads of Scotland in search of muscley hitchhikers to pick up. As the chapters progress we discover that her constant searches for hitchhikers are for hidden purposes and she has a hidden agenda. Which I won't reveal here as it would spoil the book for future readers.

I have really enjoyed Faber's other work, The Farenheit Twins and The Crimson Petal and the White, but always ignored this one as the cover just put me off. But I'm really glad that it was lent to me. As well as gradually revealing what is hyappening as the novel progresses Faber is also writing his his Animal Farm style political comment imbedded beneath the surface of the story.
A must read.

1 comment:

Hazellie said...

I've been hearing a bit about Under The Skin, I'm getting quite intrigued.

By the way, I need your email for the book chat in January, Katrina. Please email it to me at bettysbooks@gmail.com

I've scheduled the book chat for January 10th, 8am GMT+08:00, you can check the time at http://bettysbookchats.blogspot.com on the top of the page.

Sorry for posting it here, Katrina. Please do let me have your email so I can contact you more easily.

Thanks! =)