Thursday 21 August 2008

My Thoughts: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman


I know that I'm probably one of the few people never to have read Neverwhere, but it was worth the wait. I'm definately having a bit of a Neil Gaiman year, seeming to be reading his books all over the place.

For anyone in the dark, like I was, Neverwhere is a novel set in London Below. Richard is a typical middle class office worker in London, he gets up, goes to a boring job, and sees his boring girlfriend and then does exactly the same thing the next day. That is till one evening an injured girl literally falls at his feet. His life changes in moments, leaving him dumped, invisible to everyone arouund him and able to talk to rats.

The injured girl, Door, leads him to a life under the normal London, filled with the people who just 'fell through the gaps'. The train stations act like portals, and more than live up to their names and his life is at risk with every step he takes.


I absolutely loved this novel. The inverted world of London, the fantasy creatures and the pace with which the story unfolds. For years I shrugged away from fantasy literature, and I seem to have discovered it through children's literature and its opened up a new world of books. If anyone has any great recommendations for more books from this genre please share them with me :-)

Each of the Gaiman books I have read so far have been bookrings, so I'm planning on asking for some for Xmas, all with the gorgeous black and white covers.

Challenge:

Classics Challenge (Fantasy Classic) Book 6 of 6


Other Reviews





If you've reviewed this leave a link to your review and I'll add it in

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh...I read Neverwhere earlier this year...and LOVED it!! What a fantastic book!! It seems you liked it too.

http://stephaniesbooks.blogspot.com/2008/04/magical-journey.html

Bryan G. Robinson said...

I've added your review to the bottom of my own, which can be found here.

TheBlackSheep said...

Well, I'd never even heard of this, but I think I'm going to make an effort to find it. I loved Good Omens and Interworld was a good story too, so I'll give this one a go. Thanks for reviewing!