Monday 25 August 2008

My Thoughts: Meet Me Under the Ombu Tree by Santa Montefiore


This was one of those bargains in the library sale, that I would never have picked up otherwise. I need to read a few Latin American book for a Bookcrossing book box, and this fit in nicely as a complete contrast to the other books from this area I'm going to read.

A Quick Synopsis: Meet Me Under the Ombu Tree is whopping 550 pages about the love of Sofia Solanas. Sofia starts the novel as a precocious teenager with a crush on her cousin Santi, she is rebellious, demanding and a troublemaker. They embark on an affair, amid the Argentine pampas, which leaves her pregnant and sent away to Europe in disgrace. She spends the next 20 odd years in England with her new family, before having to return to Argentina due to a family tragedy and to discover whether her love still survives.

This was a good read, with much more to it than I've expressed above, lots of family relationships at work and things lurking in the past. It certainly wasn't the best written novel or the most original by any means, but it was a typical summer read.
Challenges:
Unread Authors Book 7 of 6

1 comment:

i.enjoy said...

I liked the beginning very much mainly because of the description of the way of life in an Argentinian house in the country. However I found the rest of the story really sad since in my opinion and despite the love they feel for each other the main roles waste their lives .