Wednesday 13 April 2011

Library Loot

I haven't written a library loot post for ages, but then I haven't had many books from the library in ages - I seem to have gone a little mad this week, forgetting my resolution to read my own books! Luckily I'm off work for two weeks and we have several bank holidays coming up so I should be able to read a lot more than normal.











Wicked Lovely,Melissa Marr I've seen this one talked about a lot and thought I may give it a try for the Once Upon a Time Challenge.
Swann's Way, Marcel Proust for a group read-a-long which starts on May 1st over on goodreads.com, I'm going to have to start early as this is already reserved for another reader.
Weight, Jeanette Winterson this is the myth of Atlas and Hercules retold, another read for the Once Upon a Time Challenge. I've read and loved a few of her books so I'm looking forward to this.
Death at Intervals, Jose Saramago this novel is for a library thing group where they read a particular author for a few months, I read Baltasar and Blimunda for this author earlier this year and loved it so I thought I'd try another before they move on to the next author.
Baba Yaga Laid an Egg, Duvrakva Ugresic is another mythological read for the OUaT challenge, I read a few stories about Baba Yaga when I read a bunch of Russian Fairy Tales so thought a longer retelling would be good.
The Provencal Tales, Michael de Larrabeiti is a collection of Shepherd's tales from rural france for the folk tales section of the OUaT challenge.
The Open Road, Pico Iyer you know how when one person mentions something then so does someone else well this happened with this book. One of the teachers at school was talking about reading a book by the Dalai Lama and how much it influenced her, then Eva from A Striped Armchair mentioned Pico Iyer having written a great book about the Dalai Lama, then there was a mention of him on the radio so I thought I'd get the book and discover a little about him.
Whatever You Love, Louise Doughty I'm noy really sure how this ended up on my reservations list, I must ahve seen it somewhere, it doesn't look like my normal type of read, but we'll see if I get to it.

7 comments:

Lusty Reader said...

wow you've got such good loot, well mainly i liked this post because so many were new to me (all except Wicked Lovelies) and i really like the sound of your others! Especially the Baba Yaga one, i actually wasn't familair with her "fairy tale" or her myths until a recent Urban Fantasy read referenced her and im interested in finding out more, so very timely for me to visit your page ;)

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

I've heard great things about Baba Yaga Laid an Egg (actually, about Dubravka Ugrešić's work in general)! I have to admit to never having read Proust. Even though one of my closing blogging friends (Carolyn from A Few of My Favourite Books) adores him and always sings his praises, he intimidates me.

Enjoy your loot!

Angie said...

I really have to pick up a Proust one day!

katrina said...

I'm both looking forward too and dreading the Proust, I'm hoping its not too difficult a read. It is surprisingly smaller than I imagined it would be

Bev Hankins said...

I love the simplicity of the Death at Intervals cover. Very spare, but nice.

Here's my loot: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/04/library-loot-april-13-19.html

Eva said...

I hope you enjoy the Iyer! And I'm thinking this is going to be my year for Proust. :D I'm going to run over and request Baba Yaga Laid an Egg: I've been meaning to read it for ages!

Oh, and Wicked Lovely is great fun.

Christine said...

Hi Katrina,
I hope you're enjoying your loot! I read Wicked Lovely a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I have the next two books on the TBR. I really need to catch up.

Baba Yaga Laid an Egg sounds appealing. I read a fantasy novel last year--Except the Queen by Jane Yolen and Midori Snyder (loved it!)--that had a Baba Yaga character in it and found her quite fascinating.

I noticed the Once Upon a Time Challenge in your sidebar. I participated in that one last year and totally forgot to sign up this year!! I found it a great motivator to read more fantasy. Thanks for the reminder. ;)