Sunday 28 February 2010

Lord of the Rings Readalong: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien


I'm surprising myself today and found enough time (ok, I confess I didn't do any marking, and I know I'll regret i when I'll have to do it tomorrow evening) to finish off two books, A Suitable Boy (which I reviewed earlier) and then The Fellowship of the Ring which I had just over 100 pages left.

I'm guessing your all clear on the story so I won't rewrite a version of it here, I'm just going to answer these questions instead:

Since we’re dealing with a third of a novel, instead of the first novel in a series, do you find anything different?
The main diffference is that the book clearly leads on to something else, I think you'd be extremely disappointed if you wasn't wanting to read the next part.
Who’s your favorite character so far into the novel?
Sam. He was when I saw the film and he is again in the book. He is so simple and loyal to Frodo, I guess everyone likes him because they want a friend like him.
What surprised you the most?
What was most surprising was that I got through it this time. I've started this twice before and always given up when they leave the Shire and enter the Old Forest, this had always seemed to drag at this point whilst this time I read through it easily enjoying each page.
What was your favorite scene?
My favorite scene was probably the last scene as Frodo and Sam swim off together. I also loved everything with Tom Bombadil, from his rescuing them from the tree to his house.

2 comments:

Eva said...

I love Tom too! :D Lothlorien was my other favourite scene. But the absolute creepiness of Moria was so well done, that it ranks up there too!

J.G. said...

When the hobbits think the Old Forest is dangerous, I keep thinking, "You ain't seen nothin' yet!" But the quest narrative pattern is that the challenges build as the hero matures, so it's entirely appropriate to begin with some creepy old trees.