Sunday 17 May 2009

The Sunday Salon: A mix of book stuff

I've only read one short story today (reviewed below), I read quite a lot yesterday and had some work to o today. One of my friends cooked a good ole Sunday Lunch plus Strawberries and cream which we devoured while watching Batman: The Dark Knight. He probably regrets watching that film with me as I kept getting confuse the whole way through: definately needs a rewatch. Oh, and was anyone else freaked out by the Joker keep poking his tongue out? I swear it'll haunt my sleep tonight

Short Story Sunday: 'Aristotle's Lantern' from The Secrets of the Fire King by Kim Edwards.
Anna's boyfriend suddenly calls her up and asks her to drop everything and join him on his travels just of the shore of Singapore. On her final day in the tropical paradise their is an accident during a diving trip in which she saves another mans life. This 'accident' turns out to be a test to see if she should be welcomed into a secret hidden community. I can't say much more without giving away what happens but you should go check out the story. It wasn't so much the story that grabbed me but the descriptions of the area created startling images in my head, I wanted to looking up at the phosphorescence and illuminated fish.

I also had a stack of books coming into my house this week, some through the post and several from the library.
Through the post:





The Golden Apples of the Sun, Ray Bradbury
A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters, Julian Barnes
Budding Prospects, TC Boyle
Blindness, Jose Saramago
The Lost Dog, Michelle de Krester
All of these were recieved through bookcossing.com

My Library Loot: This weeks library loot can be found here







Dr Johnson's Dictionary: The Extraordinary Story of the Book that Defines the World, Henry Hitchings
The Hard Facts of the Grimm Fairy Tales, Maria Tatar(I have Nymeth t blame for these two)
The Gurnsey Literay and Potato Peel Pie Society, Shaffer
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian, Sherman Alexie
all fighting in the 'who can have the longest name for a book comp'
One Thousand and One Nights Vol 1, Han SeungHee and Jeon JinSeok
Heart-Shaped Box, Joe Hill

I may have to take another break from the net just to catch up! All of the books fit for at least one challenge. Half-term is in one week so it looks like my week off school will be sat behind a stack of books ;D (And not the ones I claim to spend the holidays marking).
Hopefully the sky might remember we are nearing summer and kill off the grey windy dreary days we seem to have been stuck with forever.
Hope you all had a good weekend

5 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I have just read The Guernsey Literary and Potato peel pie society and absolutely loved it and hope you will too.

Monique said...

I have read The HeartShaped Box and i really enjoyed it.

Ana S. said...

I hope you enjoy the Tatar book as much as I did! And like Monique, I also really enjoyed Heart-Shaped Box.

gautami tripathy said...

Aristotle's Lantern seems like good story.

The Ugly Duckling

Eva said...

Love your loot! Heart-Shaped Box is awesome. :D