Saturday 14 June 2008

My Thoughts: The Sandman: Dream Country, Neil Gaiman



My first Graphic Novel ever! And my first read for the Graphic Novel Challenge. I picked a Neil Gaiman as I am interested in reading more of his work since reading some of his short stories that he has posted on his blog, see here for my mini review, I also have my first Neil Gaiman novel arriving in the next week so I'll be able to compare his style in that.

Now, not having a clue about Graphic novels I ordered The Sandman: Dream Country from the library, recognising the title Sandman and not realising at all that this was in the middle of a series, having enjoyed it I will now look for the first volume and maybe work my way through all of them.


This book was composed of 4 stories: Calliope, A Dream of a Thousand Cats, A Midsummer Nights Dream and Facade. I loved reading the first 3 in particular A Midsummer Nights Dream, in which the theatre troop is taken by Will Shakespeare to perform his famous play on the Downs in Sussex, to a rather unusual audience. The illustations where fantastic and I really loved the scene when the 'Longman' of the Sussex Downs opens up to reveal the audience.
I also really loved the idea of the cats in A Dream of a Thousand Cats attempting to change the universe with their dreams, something people aim to do all the time.
The fourth story was the only one that reall didn't hold my attention, it was a bit too sci-fi for my tastes.
I'll certainly be reading more graphic novels in the future.
If you have read this book feel free to comment or leave a link to your own review.

2 comments:

Eva said...

I'm reading them in order, and this one's up next for me (I'm on the holds list at the library). I'm glad you enjoyed the first three stories so much!

katrina said...

I'm going to go back and start from the beginning and read them in order