Sunday 14 December 2008

Sunday Salon: Challenge Completion


I just finished another challenge! I thought that was the last for the year then looked down my sidebar and realised I still have to read a Stephanie Myer book, I have The Host as my read once school finishes.


I managed to read The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea this afternoon, (I should have been studying but couldn't face phonetics!). The book centres around a widow and her only son. The son spies reguarly on his mother as she gets undressed for bed each evening, then one evening she brings home a man and he watches everything, almost as if he was watching a science experiment. The woman falls in love with this sailor, spelling disaster him at the hands of her precocious son.

The book features a nasty scene with a group of boys, a knife and scissors, and a kitten, one I don't think I'll get out of my head for a while.

I certainly wouldn't rave about this book, I've heard loads of positive comments about it and maybe I was expecting too much. It was ok, I'm sure bits of it will stay with me, but I much preferred the romantic Sound of the Waves.


Japanese Challenge completed!!!

What I was meant to read:

Any of Murakami which I haven't read
The Pillow Book by Shonogan
The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea, Mishma

Out by Kirino (Started it and was put off by the violent disposal of the body)


The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea, Mishma

1 comment:

Stephanie (Charlie) Farley said...

I remember feeling ill after finishing The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea. There are definitely a lot of uncomfortable scenes in that book. Have to admit it was well written though, and very successful at making me feel uncomfortable.

I hope you do read a Murakami book another time, he writes fantastic stuff, especially in Hardboiled Wonderland at the End of the World.