Saturday 18 December 2010

Exodus by Julie Bertagna


Day one of the holidays and book one down! I'm trying to finish all my library books before the TBR Dare starts. England is bitterly cold and once more covered in beautiful white snow which fell very quickly - bot sure my brother would agree though is he is stuck in his car on the way home from shopping, typical England!
Back to the book...

Once upon a time there was a world...
... a world full of miracles. From the whirl of the tiniest particles to its spinning orbit in the unthinkable vastness of space, this world danced with miraculous life. Ur, the first people called their beautiful world, and the sound of that early name would carry down all the years, until aeons of time and tongues ripened Ur into Earth.
The people feasted upon their ripe world. Endlessly they harvested its lands and seas. They grew greedy, ravaging the planets bounty of miracles. Their waste and destruction spread like a plague until a day came when this plague struck at the very heart of the miraculous dance. And the people saw too late, their savage desolation of the world.


As you can see above this novel starts off full of beautiful language and images, well crafted, but also a warning to us all. Exodus is a novel about Mara a young girl who lives on the island of Wing. As the polar ice caps have slowly melted the world has been taken over by the sea. Unsure whether they are the last island on earth the inhabitants of Wing battle for survival against the elements.
Playing a computer game Mara meets an unexpected person amongst the ghosts on the internet and discovers that a New World exists, a city built above the sea, anchored to fend off the elements.
Mara convinces the inhabitants of her island to set off in search of this new land, in search of a new life.

This book started off really well for me, but then 10 pages in I nearly gave up when the computer game suddenly appeared. Luckily it lasted only a few pages and the novel was back on track, although it still took a good 50 pages for it to grab my interest again. I'm glad I continued as I loved some of the characters and the various communities that we meet in this novel.
I thought that the book may be preachy, but the message was far more about fighting for change in the new world, rather than the faults of the past. If you enjoyed The Pretties, The Knife of Never Letting Go (and who couldn't, that was an amazing trilogy) and The Giver this is a novel you should definitely check out.
I saw this novel in an In My Mailbox post over at Fluttering Butterfly, and I'm glad that I noted it down and checked it out of the library.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just finished this one this week! It was a pretty decent read, certainly enjoyed it enough to try and find the sequel, Zenith.

I'll be reviewing Exodus this weekend hopefully.

katrina said...

Oh, I didn't know that there was a sequel, will hav to put that on my huge wishlist.
Look forward to your thoughts

Anonymous said...

Hi Katrina, What do you think of the Strictly result last night??! :)

I always wanted Kara to win, but towards the end Matt really win me over, unfortunately I felt his performance last night was lacklustre, except for Samba and his waltz, I blamed it on Aliona.

katrina said...

Hi, I didn't watch it. I've only seen it once, I'm much more of an XFactor girl. Having said that when I watched it the other week I loved Matt, he was great. My worry now is what to do with my Saturday evenings, maybe I should start going out again!