Friday 30 October 2009

Women Unbound Meme


1. What does feminism mean to you? Does it have to do with the work sphere? The social sphere? How you dress? How you act?

Feminism means to me the right for women to be equal to men in every sphere of life, to have the same rights and opportunities. It's not about how you dress or act, but the freedom to chose to dress and act how you want.

2. Do you consider yourself a feminist? Why or why not?

Yes and no. I have always felt it was important to go out and get what I want in life whether that is a job or to purchase something. I treat the girls in my class in exactly the same way as the boys, and teach them that they can do anything that the boys can do. When I have a family I will ensure that the boys and girls (if I get a mix) are treated the same.
However, I like boys to pay for the first date, I would never ask a guy out on a first date and think a girl is really brave if she can do this. I also still rely on men to come and do those things for me which I'm not strong enough to do - like changing a wheel. And I desperately want to be able to stay home when I have kids till they are in full time education. I still freak out if girls in my class burp or fart in public and can often b heard saying 'thats not very lady-like' when they are messing around with the boys. (Mainly because they are 14 and jumping around in teensy skirts).
I think I'm one of those women who want the best bits of both worlds.


3. What do you consider the biggest obstacle women face in the world today? Has that obstacle changed over time, or does it basically remain the same?

Women are now expected to be able to have it all, the family, the perfect home, a great job, to go to the gym and attend social functions. Its great that they have a much wider sphere to play in I just wonder if I'd ever be able to fit it all in with a full time job. At school we often see kids whose parents both work full time and aren't there when the kids get home from school. You sometimes get the feeling that they are trying to provide their child with everything, but what the kid really needs is a parent who is home more. That said these children are often the confident kids and often in top sets so it obviously isn't harming them too much. I think it depends on the way both the husband and wife work as a team.


See what everyone else said here

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Katrina...great answers! I do think women are in a catch-22 sometimes...wanting it all, but that is not always practical. Here are my thoughts.

Aarti said...

I think your answers are really very much in line with my own thoughts (I haven't posted yet). I think it's hard to be so many roles at once, and something's got to give... and then there is the guilt factor!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
We generally agree on our answers. Wanting it all and trying to get it sometimes gets in our way of being who we are. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books
http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2009/10/women-unbound-challenge-meme.html

Anonymous said...

so true about women having to be all and have all. great answers to the meme.

Care said...

Great answers! Glad you are embracing the challenge. (and I hope that you are just as appalled when boys belch and fart? it's just not done in polite company, regardless of gender, imo - good example!)